Parents of children who have not entered Kindergarten yet are invited to register for our 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Early Literacy Challenge!
The mission of 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is to:
- Promote reading to newborns, infants and toddlers
- Encourage parent and child bonding through reading
- Prepare children for a lifetime of reading
Research shows that reading books and sharing stories with your child is one of the best ways to help them enter school with the language skills they need to be ready to learn and grow.
How it Works:
- Download the Beanstack app or pick up a paper Reading Log at the library.
- Write down (or log on the app) all of the books that your child reads or has read to them. Remember to include stories that your child hears at library story times or in preschool or daycare. Any and all stories count – even repeat readings of the same book!
- For every 25 books you read, bring the completed log or your device into the library to receive a free book to keep!
- Keep reading until you reach 1,000 books! If you read four books a week, your child will have read 1,000 books in 5 years!
For more information, please contact the Youth Services Department at (856) 453-2210 Ext. 26105.